Hydi posted in General 7 years ago

Is it just me or do other people think this is the case.

I remember the original Glitch mining was totally the go-to for quoins but I don't remember the differential between mining and other crafting being this severe.

I only just discovered this alpha a week ago. I've since spent some time reacquainting myself with the game, mostly petting trees and harvesting and trying to remember how to cook and milk butteflies, etc. I scrapped together enough items, a few quests, and a bunch of music blocks to purchase my first big bag. Then finally a second.

And then I bought an ax.

And within maybe 20 minutes I had a full set of large bags, toolbox, and about 11k quoins leftover. 

I don't mind that mining is more lucrative, but I do mind that the difference is so extreme that it makes me feel dumb for even bothering with other activities while my goal was to get bags. Similarly, I feel like to gain favor with giants I'd be a fool to try anything other than giving them gems. And I don't think that's really in the spirit of things.

Thoughts? Comments? Is this just an alpha-thing?

— H

OMG BACON!! replied 7 years ago

I agree, mining in Alpha seems to produce a higher gem yield. This probably won't be the case for long, so enjoy while it lasts! (Don't worry too much about it, there are still plenty of other things to do like skills and achievements)

OMG BACON!! replied 7 years ago

I agree, mining in Alpha seems to produce a higher gem yield. This probably won't be the case for long, so enjoy while it lasts! (Don't worry too much about it, there are still plenty of other things to do like skills and achievements)

Thaderator replied 7 years ago

Yes, you are completely correct about the imbalance.

That being said, this is an alpha version of the game. Our main focus is to build features and get them to work (sometimes a harder challenge that even we might think). We aren't paying particularly close attention to anything that involves balancing the game. Most of the time when we need to put in numbers, we just make a guess at what they should be.

That kind of tuning is going to take a lot of time and a lot of play-testing. While I agree that having it out of whack can make the whole experience feel different, I hope you can forgive us this while we try to build the best game we can.

However, this kind of feedback is still much appreciated. Believe it or not, I don't actually get all that much time to just sit down and play the game. That is what makes our player base so valuable to us. So please feel free to leave feedback about anything you like laughing

Thaderator replied 7 years ago

Yes, you are completely correct about the imbalance.

\r\n

That being said, this is an alpha version of the game. Our main focus is to build features and get them to work (sometimes a harder challenge that even we might think). We aren't paying particularly close attention to anything that involves balancing the game. Most of the time when we need to put in numbers, we just make a guess at what they should be.

\r\n

That kind of tuning is going to take a lot of time and a lot of play-testing. While I agree that having it out of whack can make the whole experience feel different, I hope you can forgive us this while we try to build the best game we can.

\r\n

However, this kind of feedback is still much appreciated. Believe it or not, I don't actually get all that much time to just sit down and play the game. That is what makes our player base so valuable to us. So please feel free to leave feedback about anything you like laughing

Hydi replied 7 years ago

All good. It occurred to me later that maybe it was unbalanced on purpose for the alpha so we'd all have enough currency to buy and test things. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

Hydi replied 7 years ago

All good. It occurred to me later that maybe it was unbalanced on purpose for the alpha so we'd all have enough currency to buy and test things. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

lizzard replied 7 years ago

I kind of like it being so easy to get gems. It's made for some nifty street decorating and parties! But, yes, we would want to tweak the balance eventually as it's too easy.   For now, kind of fun.

lizzard replied 7 years ago

I kind of like it being so easy to get gems. It's made for some nifty street decorating and parties! But, yes, we would want to tweak the balance eventually as it's too easy.   For now, kind of fun.

Skymaw replied 7 years ago

I think it's good at this point to keep an easy revenue stream. Less important now that energy levels up, but man, did I ever need those extra emblem energy boosts before. 

When there are more features and more ways to make money, like making advanced resources, or like the player market... then probably it'll bother me more. But yeah, the gem yield is bonkers. 

Skymaw replied 7 years ago

I think it's good at this point to keep an easy revenue stream. Less important now that energy levels up, but man, did I ever need those extra emblem energy boosts before. 

\r\n

When there are more features and more ways to make money, like making advanced resources, or like the player market... then probably it'll bother me more. But yeah, the gem yield is bonkers. 

If you want to reply to this thread, you need to log in.